Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chena Hot Springs And Aurora Ice Palace

Today we took a drive of about 60 miles north from here to the Chena Hot Springs and the Aurora Ice Palace. The trip seemed longer than we had planned but the scenery was beautiful with Spruce forests, rivers and streames and of all things, we saw seven Moose. We were able to take pictures of six of them because the seventh one was way up in front of crossing the road.

Chena Hot Springs is Alaska's only year round hot spring and has been operating for over 100 years. The water is crystal clear and nice and hot, I believe the temperature is about 110 degrees.

Also there is the world's only year round ice structure. Each winter they hold ice carving contests and the winner as their sculpture placed on display till the next season. They keep the temp at 20 degrees year round and they ice sculptures are perfectly intact. I took a few pictures but because of the lighting they have it's hard to get a flash picture to come out good but I did the best I could.

I hope you like the ice pictures but I know you'll really like the pictures of the moose. One of them is a baby.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the pic of the jousting ice sculpter. Glad ya'll got in the Hot Springs....Luv you both so much!!! Billie

    ReplyDelete